BA Post 6

9/12/18

This week I worked on a video. I wanted to focus on the audio to try and manipulate the video more. I changed the frequencies of the wind that was picked up by the camera and layered it in different ways. Unfortunately, I exported my video into photos and I lost the audio. I got my video exported, but the audio was not what I wanted.


The artist who inspires me to work in black and white and to manipulate the audio is Jamilah Sabur.  

https://vimeo.com/235599774 

That's a link to one of her videos, playing possum. I love the way her work is ambiguous, and some how her making the choice to make her video black and white makes it even more so. 


My favorite line from the reading is, "A work of art is never beauty in itself, for beauty is dead; it should be neither gay nor sad, neither light nor dark to rejoice or torture the individual by serving him the cakes of sacred aureoles or the sweets of a vaulted race through the atmospheres." Art is art, is what I got from that. I'm loving how the writer just lets his conscious fall onto the paper in front of him. So much of it seems like nonsense but every sentence can be unpacked in how it affects art. 

Comments