BAPost 5

9/5/18

This week I focused on completing the painting from last week.  I'm exited with the outcome and I think I'm closer to my goal of creating a balance between pigment and thread.







I also took time to try and figure out what image I wanted to paint next. I was leaning towards pie again. I called my grandpa and asked him what his favorite pie was, and he said cherry or apple. I got a cherry pie, cut out two slices for photos (I ate one) and I'm bringing him the rest tomorrow. Everyone wins. I want this painting to be larger, so I prepared a large surface. I'm not able to get stretch bars right now, so I decided to use an embroidery hoop and move it along the painting as I'm working on it. I think by doing this, it will make me focus more on detail in all parts of the painting. 

My artist that inspired me is again Raedecker. I'm in love with his work. It inspires me in all ways. I don't want my work to look like his. I just enjoy the way he uses his marks and takes advantage of embroideries constant line. 


In the reading, I enjoyed the section about Ai Weiwei the most. When I hear teachers and students talk about him, everyone admires him, but there's always the back handed comment about, "is he really making his own work?" I didn't realize how politically charged his work is. He's trying to be the voice for people in China who have no voice, and he's getting beaten by cops for it. If he needs other artists help to create his work, he should go for it. I realise that my work has nothing to do with Ai Weiwei. I don't see my work going in a political direction, but I admire Weiwei for doing so. 





Comments